Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Happy Birthday, Girl

This is my card for this week's Splitcoaststampers' CAS71 Challenge, Things That Fly. With so many options, my first instinct was to pull out Butterfly Dreams again. I hope you don't get tired of seeing me use it! The last few times I used the set, I was thinking about how I could use the uber plain outline butterfly. Today it dawned on me that I could use Background Basics: Text Style II on it. Duh. Boy, do I love it! What I love even more is that the word butterfly appears in the text so I tried to make sure it showed up in the bottom right wing of each butterfly.

I was shopping at DeSerres on Sunday and bought a new package of hemp cord in bright citrusy colours, the ones you see on these butterflies. I think I may be subconsciously psychic because I also happened to use the colours from WPlus9's Color Cue {5} Challenge. As much as I'd love to, I don't blogroll every day so I had no idea that these were the current colours until I saw Maile Belles' post this evening. It's also possible that receiving Susan Raihala's blog candy and this incredible thank you card from her yesterday put those same colours in my head! In my one year of serious blogging (see my blog candy giveaway at the bottom of this post) I've always wanted to do a colour challenge but never did because I didn't have the right colours and/or I couldn't figure out how to use them. Well, coincidences like this are nice but I'm sure they don't happen very often! ;)

This card is actually 5"X5" with the butterflies hanging off the edge. I cut the base as 4.25"X10" and scored it at 5". The green butterfly was placed in the middle and the other two right next to it so that they hang off exactly to measure a 5" card width. This is the first time I used pop dots and I'm not sure I like them because the butterflies don't sit parallel to the base. I suppose it's okay because these are butterflies and it gives them a bit of movement but I think I prefer the flat spongy dimensionals.

Sources: SU Chocolate Chip cardstock; GinaK 120lb pure luxury white cardstock; AC textured green and orange cardstock; Bazzill Basics aqua cardstock; PTI Butterfly Dreams; PTI Background Basics: Text Style II; Memento Rich Cocoa ink; SU Taken With Teal & Kiwi Kiss inks; Vivid ButterScotch ink; PTI Butterfly die; QuicKutz Epic Six; Darice hemp cord; Pop Dots; Fiskars Nostalgia corner edger

16 comments:

MicheyMoo said...

What a perfect, perfect card!! I love the butterflies and the matching knotted twine as their bodies is fantastic!! Great, bright colours make for such a happy card. xxx

Elise said...

OOOOOOOOO... Myyyyyyyyy.... GOODNESSSSSS! Can such fantastic use of color be LEGAL!?! We just started this Color Cue and YOU'RE on FIRE! Wow, girl! THIS card is perfection! So inspiring! {Did I say "wow?"} GREAT, great, G R E A T job! Yipeeeee!

Lynn said...

Wow! Wow! Wow! This card is stunning! Very clean and simple and beautiful!

G Peplow said...

Fabulous Emily, I love the attention to detail and the LO is perfect. The colours are just the ticket:) I love the way you've knotted the cord, stylish:)

Angela said...

Another winner, Emily - great design at work! I love your texty butterflies with their cute little knotted bodies, and the way you pieced together the sentiment is very fun!

Dawn said...

Did I read correctly? (yes I do actually read the posts, LOL) This is your first time participating in a color challenge?! Well, coincidence or ESP...I'm glad it happened. I'm diggin' everything about this card. The clever butterflies, the layout, and the way you paired up the colors. PERFECT!

Thanks for playing along Emily!

Stamp and Smile said...

WOW, you go girl! LOVEIN' this card creation and these butterflies are dazzling!!! The hole layout is perfect... In my FAV's it goes! SMILES Emily... :)

Cristina said...

Love this. The butterflies are perfect. But I even like the strips of color behind the sentiment. Something to remember for some of my (many) scraps laying around.

Lisa said...

Love your "text" butterflies!

Nancy L. said...

LOVE your card! so cute!

Meg said...

Love this card!! I am so impressed that you planned ahead to have the butterflies fit in an envelope. That twine looks awesome!

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

I can see why you're obsessed with these colors!!!! Great job.

Jinny Newlin said...

So pretty! I love that colored hemp cord! Fantastic!

Unknown said...

Great card, love the way you used the colors. The butterflies are awesome!

Sally Watkins said...

Great use of the twine! Love it.

Monika Reeck said...

Emily your use of twine is adorable perfect and love your cas design..I am being your follower...and would be happy if you could see my blog maybe one time...congrats on being winner on embelish color challenge yes you must not be up set try again and again a challenge you love...until you are the BIG Winner and I Love your card with butterfly...hugs