Sunday, July 11, 2010

Happy Birthday

Thanks to everyone who sent well-wishes regarding my father-in-law! He's continuing to improve and that is great news. My family and I really appreciate all your kind thoughts. We're not sure when he'll be out of the hospital but hopefully it'll be soon. :)

This is one of the many birthday cards I'll be making over the next few days. I recently received a bunch of client orders so I'll be working fast and furious to fill those! Thankfully the first deadline is not 'til Thursday. I haven't made many cards where all I use are Papertrey Ink stamps and I thought it would be fun to go that route. After all, I have a lot of new stuff to ink up, right? So be prepared to see a lot of PTI cards over the next week or so!

For this card, I decided to use my new Beautiful Blooms II #2 die to cut out some yummy felt in pretty Raspberry Fizz. While I was cutting the felt, I decided to cut blooms in other coloured cardstock since I already had my machine out. When I tossed all the pieces together, the idea of mixing cardstock into the felt appeared in the pile. I love accidents like that! In fact, I love this card so much that I'll be making the reverse version of this one.

I used the (Linen &) Canvas impression plate for the background and I tied in the dot theme from the frame to both the flower and the edge of the kraft panel. After deciding where I wanted to place the frame and flower, I felt the card was missing something. I thought it needed leaves or maybe flourishes but, in the end, I added some text. I inked the right side using Pink Passion and the card still didn't look finished so I decided to add more text to the left side in black. That was it. I'm pleased with the way it looks and it will be fun to try different combinations of this layout!

Sources: SU Naturals Ivory & Kraft cardstock; PTI Top Ten; PTI Fillable Frames #4; PTI Polka Dot Basics II; PTI Background Basics: Text Style II; Memento Tuxedo Black ink; SU Pink Passion ink; PTI Linen & Canvas impression plate; PTI Fillable Frames #4 die; PTI Beautiful Blooms II #2 die collection; PTI Raspberry Fizz felt; QuicKutz Epic Six; Forever in Time black button; Darice hemp cord; Glue Dots pop up relief

6 comments:

Angela said...

Awesome card, Emily! Way to go all-PTI! That impression plate is on my "maybe" list -- do you like the way it works in the Epic 6? I have the Big Shot, but they seem to be pretty equivalent. The woodgrain plate works well, but it's kind of temperamental....
Anyway, nifty design work!

Tee said...

Nice colors..love the felt and paper flowers! I've got a question for you..how come you get such a clean impression while stamping over layers..I always get a spot of no ink where the layer overlaps ( the right hand corner with the pink ink)
I would love if you could help me on this!
Tejal

G Peplow said...

Hi Emily, so glad your Father-in-Law is getting better:)
I love your card one of my favourite colour combos, pink and grey, yummy, :) xxx

Meg said...

Ooooh, fabulous card! Don't you love it when all the elements just come together and form a fantastic card?

I have the same question as Tejal about the overlapping-layer-stamping. Do spill your secrets!

DG said...

I'm glad to hear your Father in Law is doing better. I love this card and I think the idea of the added text like you have done it is brilliant. I love how that looks. So great to see creativity like this. Thanks for the Good Luck wishes as well :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful card, Emily. Such gorgeous colours and I love the felt flower. You always have such wonderful textures on your cards. I'm so pleased to hear your Father In Law is improving.