Wednesday, August 25, 2010

CAS81: Magical Day

I was out with some back pain for a couple of days but I feel much better today. I was also working on this week's Pink Cat Studio release which you'll see tomorrow! I did get a bunch of new stamps in the mail on Monday and Tuesday so I thought I would share a little something with you today. I made this card for this week's CAS81 Challenge to use the colours kraft, turquoise and white. You'd think that with kraft it would've been easy but for some reason this trio threw me for a loop!

I used my new Wplus9 set, Magical Moments, to create this simple but pretty card that I'll probably use as a birthday card. I had trouble inking the peacock evenly and this is what happened on the fifth try. The bird is still a bit splotchy but I guess those dark spots add dimension. :Þ Is it me? It's not like I have no experience with stamps! LOL I overlapped the sentiment panel with watermark ink and added one of the flowers from the set on the bottom left corner for balance. I notched the inner corners, adhered the kraft piece to the card, added the rhinestones and it was done. Pretty easy!

Here's a little scene I stamped out with a few of my new Doodle Factory stamps. I let my son pick the ones he wanted to colour.

He's a budding impressionist, don't you think? ;) My son loves the little monsters because he's so into Uglydolls. Of course, he wanted the bike and a kite attached to it, too. Ever since he got a massive helium-filled mylar Thomas balloon on his birthday, he sometimes imagines it's a kite. The little monster on the right is "stomp-stomp-stomp(ing)" ever since he saw my Dad using a garden fork in the garden. LOL The middle monster is rubbing his belly "mmm-yum-yum-yum" and the monster on the right is a "bee". My little guy just cracks me up! I can only imagine what he'll say when he can speak in sentences.

Sources: GinaK 120lb pure luxury white cardstock; SU Kraft cardstock; Wplus9 Magical Moments; SU Taken With Teal ink; Memento Tuxedo Black ink; Versafine Watermark ink; Fiskars Nostalgia corner edger; SU Basic Rhinestones

7 comments:

Karen B. said...

What a beautiful and sophisticated card! Love the colors. I wonder if you would try to stamp your image in watermark ink first and then your ink it wouldn't be blotchy?

Dawn said...

Hey Emily! Love your son's chaotic card! LOL Just what I think it would look like around a bunch of monsters.

I haven't had any issues with the peacock. I will ask the girls and see if any of them had a similar issue. Could be a manufacturing defect or possibly a thin ink. Let me know if you still have problems after a couple of uses and I will send you out a replacement. The only time I've had any issues with blotchiness is when my ink pad is shedding and the fibers stick to the stamp, thin inks, or dry pads. Sometimes with larger stamps I do flip and rub to make sure the paper comes in good contact with the stamp.

But I agree, you shouldn't have to do any "special tricks" to get your stamps to work properly...so let me know if the issue continues.

Meg said...

Ooooh, Em, I like what you did with the peacock and the CAS color combo. I hope you can get the blotchiness issue fixed! I hate wasting sheet after sheet trying to get a good impression.

Those Starving Artist stamps are sure cute and colored *so* well. Glad to hear your back is feeling better!

Angela said...

Aw, your little tot is a future Monet, for sure! I love your card, too -- I've had some issues with Taken with Teal before...good luck with that! Maybe your peacock is an impressionist too?
Take care of that back.

Lindsey said...

Angela's thinking Monet, I'm leaning towards Seurat -- pointillism! The bling is the perfect finishing touch on your beautiful peacock card. And I like the versamark touches on the sentiment panel!

Emily (stampingout on SCS) said...

Your CAS card is STUNNING! You nailed it, girl! Your son's card is absolutely adorable! I luv the little monsters he chose! :)

Alice said...

wow! that first card is absolutely gorgeous!! LOVE the simple design! fabulous!!