Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Join Us

My son's fourth birthday is in less than three weeks. For the longest time, he wanted an Octonauts party but changed his mind a couple weeks ago to a Lego City party. We found Lego plates and cups at the party store last week. There were even pre-printed invitations which would've made it so easy and less time-consuming but I wouldn't have had the satisfaction of making them myself. Of course, I don't have any Lego stamps so I improvised. He's into all the emergency and construction vehicles, not to mention the brand new mining series so it was easy to find stamps that fit any one of those themes.

I started by die cutting the skylines in two colours so I could layer them to create a dimensional scene. Then I stamped a whole bunch of tissue boxes from Healthy Vibes to serve as stacked Lego blocks. I adhered them in pairs and stamped the sentiment from Alfresco on the top block and the face from Healthy Vibes on the bottom. Next, I heat embossed all of the helicopters from Sunny Side Up and fussy cut them. Then I assembled the twine and attached the blocks to the helicopters. That was the most time-consuming part of these invitations and I was chuckling to myself the entire time. My son is going to squeal when he sees these and I know he'll tell me that's not where they attach cargo on helicopters! However, it was the most logical and easiest place for this purpose. ;) After I finished putting all the cards together, they seemed to need a bit more so I added some Lil' Inker Designs cloud dies, adhered flat to the card base.

My husband and I came up with the idea of Lego mini-build loot bags so we picked up all the pieces for the loot bags at the Lego Store. I'm going to do a step-by-step printout for the parents and package everything up in favour bags with the kids' names on them. I can't wait to share them with you when I'm done!

See you tomorrow for the Paper Smooches August release blog hop! :D

Sources: Gina K Designs pure luxury white cardstock; SU Real Red & Night of Navy cardstock; Paper Smooches Sunny Side Up, Healthy Vibes & Alfresco; Memento Tuxedo black ink; ColorBox Frost White pigment ink; Zing white embossing powder; Lil' Inker Designs Rainbows & Clouds dies; My Favorite Things Die-namics Skyline; The Twinery Stone baker's twine; foam tape

29 comments:

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

Fabulous idea. My boys are totally into legos, my suggestion for the gift bags-- see if a local shop has any lego cataglogues, we got one in the mail (obviously from having purchased something we're on their mailing list) and that catalogue has seen so much love it's currently in pieces...

cassie said...

What a great idea! Love it

Annette Allen said...

now these are too clever...such a cute invite...love them

Lisa's Creative Niche said...

these are awesome my son would love this too!

Miriam Prantner said...

So cute! These are going to be a hit for sure!

Meg said...

Oh, Em, these are soooo adorable! I can't wait to see what cute things you make for the party. Mr Corgi is definitely going to be jealous!

Jingle said...

Super cute! And well done cuting all of those helicopters. I likely would have been lazy and skipped that! LOL!

Queen Mary said...

Love it! What a fantastic idea!

Jessi Fogan said...

YOU ARE THE FUNNEST MOM EVER! D. is going to just LOVE these :) I'm sure he'll forgive the slight inaccuracy...after he tells everyone about it ;) So, so awesome!

Jay Gee said...

These look amazing Emily... I love the tissue boxes, they really look like lego blocks!

Dawnll said...

This is wonderful and I am sure he was thrilled- you are just so darn creative.
Can't wait to see the goodie bags.
Your the best mommy

Beth aka BR-T said...

Oh my gosh these invites are fabulous!!!

Lynn said...

Can I send my two little guys to Canada for the party? These are so adorable! I LOVE them! Happy birthday to your sweet Damian!

Jennifer said...

LOVE these invites, Emily! So CUTE for a lego party!!! (=

Glenda J said...

So flippin' fun! Absolutely love it! You are so brilliant!

Christina said...

These are so incredibly adorable! Love how you used the tissue box for stacked Legos, and the layered city skyline looks fabulous. I can't believe you fussy cut all of those helicopters, but it was totally worth it!

Lindsey said...

These are awesome invitations, Em! I think D. will overlook the slight technical inaccuracy. :P The double skyline looks amazing. And you're right, the clouds add just the perfect finishing touch.

Wendy ten Hove said...

Oh, what an incredibly fun idea!!! Love the lego blocks flying in the sky!! Curious for the lego plates and cups as well, hi hi!
Hugs, Wendy

Monika Reeck said...

you are so very kind MUM :) great invitstion and not so easy to make I maen need more time to make all of this...great idea dear...

Gabby said...

What a super cute invite! :)

Jocelyn Olson said...

These are just the coolest invitations EVER! I can't believe you made so many...you're such a dedicated mom. I hope you made an extra for your son as a keepsake. ;)

Basement Stamper said...

Your invitations are super cool, love how they turned out!

Marina said...

Such cool invitations, I'm sure he will love them! Looking forward to seeing the bags. :-)

Jen W. said...

Your Lego block is genius and these are some rockin' invitations! Can't believe the little dude is almost 4!!

Anonymous said...

wow! you are so creative! These are such perfect lego theme cards.

donna mikasa said...

Perfect LEGO themed invites! I especially love the stacked tissue boxes--so clever! I was a LEGO geek as a kid and so were my daughters. We still have LEGO sets in storage! Your son is gonna love these!

G Peplow said...

Totally fabulous Emily, I love your creations, Gay xxx

Sarale said...

Very cool card!

LG,

Tanja

walchowDesign said...

Totally fabulous Lego theme, Emily! Love the classic lego colours! I'm sure all the invitees are looking forward to see more of "Lego"stuff at the party!